|Barbara Peonia is a self-taught artist born in 1969 in Rome, where she lives and works.
When she was very young, she started painting and studying the work of the great Masters from the past who she loves, such as Artemisia Gentileschi, Angelika Kauffmann, Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dalì and William Gainsbourough.
Her work style is surrealistic and she calls it “quantum surrealism”. It recounts the double nature of the being: the mortal, and the eternal.
She communicates through an often symbolic language, in a style that doesn’t forget the rules of classicism and which always searches for harmony to transmit to the observer.
Since 1998 she has collaborated with the artistic movement known as “Quantum Realism” in the city of Rome, exhibiting more than 1000 artworks.
In 2002 she started attending Ezio Farinelli’s workshop, where she perfected and expanded her painting technique.
In 2009 she joined the association Versoltre’s artistic committee as Vice President and painting teacher.
In 2015 she became President of the association Arte Quantica (Quantum Art).
With her art, she supports the international cooperation project Bits of Future: Food for All which aims to help the poor countries through the use of an innovative technology (the HYST).
- October 2019 – she participated in the exhibition “Transparencies” at the VersOltre’s gallery in Rome, in collaboration with the Association Arte Quantica;
- June 2018 – she participated in the exhibition “Square worlds’ space” at the Arte Quantica’s gallery in Rome;
- December 2017 – she inaugurates her solo show ‘the Angels‘ at the gallery of “Mistica” in Rome. During the event she donates 13 of her artworks to the Associazione Volontari Capitano Ultimo (Captain Ultimo Volunteers Association);
- March 2017 – she participated in the exhibition ‘Quantum Foam‘ at the VersOltre’s gallery in Rome, in collaboration with the Association Arte Quantica;
- August 2016 – she participates in the exhibition ‘Falcolandia’ held in the “la Mistica” exhibition space in Rome;
- July 2015 – she participated in the exhibition ‘Bridge Connecting Continents‘ in the premises of La Triennale di Milano (Salon of Honor);
- August 2014 – she exhibited her work in the premises of Cinecittà World, Rome;
- July 2013 – she participates in the exhibition “Riflessioni d’arte: colori, forme, emozioni” at the art gallery Aedes, in Terminillo;
- February 2012 – she exhibited her work at the Gallery Monti & Co. in Rome;
- December 2011 – she participated in the exhibition “Art on Stage” at the premises of the Elsa Morante Cultural Center, Rome;
- September 2011 – she participated in the exhibition “Forever Young Energy”, at the Auditorium del Massimo in Rome;
- June 2011 – she participates in the exhibition “Una strada verso l’Oltre” (a road towards the Beyond) at the Palazzo Comunale di Cerveteri, Rome;
- May 2011 – she exhibits her work at the “Scuderie Estensi” Tivoli, Rome;
- 2011 – she participated in the exhibition ‘Interaction‘ at the VersOltre’s gallery in Rome;
- 2011 – she participated in the exhibition ‘Square Worlds‘ at the VersOltre’s gallery in Rome, in collaboration with the Association Arte Quantica;
- 2006 – she participated in the exhibition “Passiflora” within the premises of the Botanic Garden of Rome.
Barbara Peonia’s Universe, by Giandomenico Cammarata
It is not common to meet artists capable of transcending matter to the point of making it aware and participating in their very Essence. Time freezes in surreal worlds full of meaning, which are layered in symbols that echo quantum symmetries and cause poetic effects, not lacking in profound emotions.
The Absolute and the being live on the border of an Eternal embrace, which the artist reproduces in unexpected frames and angles, proving they posses an Adamantine vision rich in primordial purity.
The unusual light’s behavior creates perceiving difficulties to the mind of the observers, who find themselves projected into the artist’s Universe, completely losing their sense of direction.
Worthy heir of Surrealism, of which she understood the deepest lessons, she dives into the pathways of Quantum Universes, which are yet to be fully explored.
Barbara Peonia’s Work, by Giandomenico Cammarata
Throughout her artistic career, Barbara Peonia is not new to representing classical iconography through her style, which has progressively started to include different painting techniques acquired through different artistic experiences.
In this series of artworks we find references to every phase of the research of the self, and to the constant presence of the Divine or Spirituality in the artist’s path.
In some artworks the layers of color seem to represent intense passions that crush against exploded masks, in others the color surrounds angelic beings, giving them Spiritual features. In each case, every shade of color is applied to perfectly emphasize what she wants to emerge, showing technical mastery and a great expositive sensibility. Blacks are used to create lines which link the being to the Divine, and at times become verses and phrases, whereas other times they transform into a skyline where Absolute Sunrises and Sunsets furnish time and space with illusory connotations, useful to be seen for what they are. The consciousness of every single stroke is out of question, and leaves no doubt inside the attentive observer while confusing and silencing the mind. The achievement of this inner condition alone, makes the whole experience worth being lived.
We are undoubtedly looking at an artist who has fully developed her style, and who is getting ready to gift us with the kind of deep emotions that only artists with the capital A can generate.